Saturday, October 30, 2010

Making Scents Of It All

Sitting on the couch. A swollen face. A bag of peas that I would never eat but acting as my frozen saviour. Counting down until my next medication time. High Fidelty. Baby food. Water. Feeling sorry for myself. But enjoying the forced relax time.

I walked into a shop the other day in Bridge Road. I was swept away by the smell. It was the air freshener. A vanilla one, nothing spectacular. Yet exactly the same as Bonanza Jellybean, the clothing store I worked at 18 years of age.

That smell bought back a rush of thoughts and emotions. I was working for the local LOCAL magazine, had just finished school, had a completely different group of friends, was in a long unusual relationship, my sister was away, I was yet to go overseas, I didn't know where I wanted to end up and I hadn't figured out or become comfortable with the sort of person I was yet. I spent hours with that smell every time I worked, listening to the same cds that were there and ones I had mixed with Kings of Leon, She will Have her way a female compilation of Crowded House Covers, Hot Chip's first album and a Chill out album. I got my coffee from Illy next door, I was next to a lingere store, I parked at Deakin and always stopped at Back to Basics to pick up candles, bracelets and lovely bits. I was visited by my boyf and friends, by Chloe in the early days, by 100% fresh and by Ez who I now live with. I was so different. It was so refreshing to have that smell & move on. It was a moment where I was so proud of myself and how many things have changed and where I'm not at. I'm still at the beginning of my career but so much further than then. I've travelled with plenty more to do, I'm no longer fussed  on a group I have many very special individuals in my life, my family is back together and closer than ever and I'm with an equal who I adore and I live in a city full of secrets and surprises.

A scent or smell can bring back such powerful memories. The comforting smell of my home, my dad's aftershave, my teddy, spice cottage, my friends' perfumes, sam's smell, walking past a man yesterday wearing aqua di gio and thinking of my friend i've grown apart from, it's wonderful. When I get old and my sight goes dodgy, my tastebuds become not so wonderful or my hearing goes a bit so I couldn't hear gigs and my favourite songs as well, I just hope hope hope I can smell, enjoy and make scents of it all. Mind the pun.

Back to icing my face now.

T x

No comments: